Archive for the ‘Speed up Windows 7’ Category
After the debacle of Windows Vista on different performance issues, Microsoft was under a deep pressure and stress to get into the league of repeating the success that it made with Windows XP.
Windows 7 was engineered to answer all shots of questions that Windows Vista raised during its time period. The factor on which Windows 7 in cashes the market as compared to its predecessors is Speed. Special attention was paid by Microsoft team for making Windows 7 faster than the previous operating systems (Windows Xp, Windows Vista).
Although Windows 7 is much faster than Vista but still a lot of users tend to find the OS not convincing enough to accept that fact, there are different reasons that come into play if you are experiencing a slow windows 7 performance. A lot of users have upgraded Windows 7 on their Old PC’s. Installing Windows 7 on a old pc can not give you that soothing and satisfactory experience as compare to having Windows XP on them in past. The possible reasons for that is the enhanced hardware requirements that Windows 7 demands.
If you are having a slow windows 7 there a some tweaks with the help of which we can optimize Windows 7 to the maximum possible extent. So, for all those who are looking forward to tweak their Windowss 7 here is a top 5 steps that we are going to discuss.. we will be discussing some more down the line…
So lets start The Ultimate Guide to Make Windows 7 Faster
Step 1 : Disable the Search Indexing Feature of Windows 7
The Search Indexing service in Windows 7 index’s to keeps track of the files so that they can be found quickly when asked at some other time. This feature is useful only if you perform frequent searches on your system. Most of the Windows 7 users do less searches in there system.
For occasional file searchers the Search Indexing service in Windows 7 is a total resource hog. It unknowingly eats up your system resources. What you need from windows 7 is maximum performance from it then i would certainly recommend you to disable this resource hogging Windows 7 Search Indexing Feature.
- Right Click the “Computer” Icon in the desktop and select “Manage”.
- Click “Services and Applications” in the “Computer Management” window.
- Click on “Services”.
- You can see a lot of services listed there. Look for “Windows Search” in that.
- Right Click on “Windows Search” from the list and choose “Properties”.
- The “Windows Search Properties Window” will open up. From “Startup type” click on the drop down menu and choose “Disabled”.
- Click “Apply” then “OK” and that’s it. The Windows 7 Search Indexing Feature is now disabled.
Step 2 : Disable the Aero Theme to make Windows 7 faster
The aero user interface certainly adds some ” Eyecandy ” to Windows 7 but certainly is a resource hog especially when, what you expect from windows 7 is more performance juice. Aero user interface squeezes your graphics or video card to its maximum. Disabling the aero theme alone in Windows 7 will really speed things up.
- Right Click on your Desktop and select ” Personalize ” click the Window Color Tab.
- Uncheck the Box saying ” Enable Transparency ” and then click on ” Open classic appearance properties for more color options”.
- Then a window will open up. Apply a Standard or Basic theme from it. The Standard Windows 7 theme is more preferred.
Step 3: Disabling the Unwanted Visual Effects to make Windows 7 faster
There are many unwanted visual effects that can be safely disabled to speed up windows 7
- For this right click on ” Computer” and select “Properties” from the right click menu.
- Click on ” Advanced System Settings ” from the left pane to open up the ” System Properties ” window.
- Select the “Advanced” tab from it. Then Under ” Performance ” click ” Settings “. Choose ” Custom: ” Options From it.
- Now un tick all the options and select only the last four options (actually three only needed; you can un tick the second option from the last four). See the screen shot if you have any doubt.
- Now just logoff your system and turn logon.
Step 4: Disabling the Unwanted Services to make Windows 7 faster
There are many services in windows 7 that we dont require for our daily use. There are some exceptional cases though. Services such as “print spooler” is only needed when we use a printer. If we use a printer only occasionally we can safely turn off that service in Windows 7 and turn it on only when we need to take a print.
Step 5 : Disable the User account control (UAC) Feature in Windows 7
The User account control (UAC) feature in Windows 7 is very annoying though it says it can protect your computer from harmful virus activity etc. But if you are a daily user of your computer this windows 7 feature will be a total nuisance to you.
- From the Control Panel open the ” User Accounts and Family Safety ” > User Account.
- Click the User Account Control settings link.
- Now just Drag the Slider towards “Never Notify”.
- Click “OK” and Reboot your system.
You have got the latest on the offering from Microsoft i.e Windows 7 Operating System, but still the response level from your computer is of not that excellence. If you are wondering how to speed up your Windows 7 without spending any more bucks follow the article that elaborates on same “How to speed up your Windows 7 Performance”.
First of all confirm that you meet the minimum hardware spec for the operating system. The minimum hardware specification for Windows 7 requires
- 1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
- 1GB of main memory
- 16GB of available disk space
- Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the aero interface)
- A DVD-R/W drive
For more check the same in detail at Microsoft Website
If your computer system was giving the best of Windows XP/Windows Vista, then it is pretty sure that you can experience the same smooth response from Windows 7 too. The latest operating system from Microsoft has been designed to be very light compared to its pedicures (Windows XP/Windows Vista). The operating system runs quickly without requiring huge amounts of RAM or GHz’s processors.
If you have met the fare deal of Hardware specifications that still experiencing a slow computing, then the issue lies around somewhere else. To start with cut down the no of programs running in the background. For example a lot of no of times we tend to install programs that stuck in your start-up running in the background and eating up loads of virtual memory. (Yahoo Messenger, Win amp, GTalk, Skype, etc). Either remove them from the Start-up (How to remove programs from Start-up) or close them when not in use, the best would be that you remove them from the Start-up list so that they don’t bother each time you start your PC.
The second option is to clean the Windows registry (How to clean Windows Registry). This is perhaps the most effective means to speed up Windows 7. There are a lot of freeware that can do the task easy for you.. CCleaner is one such software; try the software to get away with common registry issues and registry fix.
Computer Virus are one of the common threat that gives you a havoc at any point of time… a virus infection can be a reason behind your slow computer. As a next measure have a good antivirus solution on your computer system. You can purchase a licence copy of (Norton/MCCafe/BitDefender/Kaspersky)a antivirus software or can do it with some freeware (AVG/AVIRA/AVAST).
Trojans or virus has ways of reducing the speed of any operating system. There is absolute need for you to install appropriate antivirus and anti spy ware. It is important to note that windows 7 are equipped with its own protection activated against these Trojans. The fact is that you have to be very careful by giving you system extra protection through installation of more antivirus because the Trojans would enter your system unannounced. The mode of operations of these viruses makes it possible for them to capture data on your system and transfer to a remote computer. This would definitely slow down the speed of your system.
Just follow the tips above to ensure that your windows 7 operating system runs faster as it should.
Follow the blog Fix Win 7 to get more of these tips to boost the speed of your computer.